Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Random Thoughts of Mindlessness Vol. 3

I woke up this morning at 4 am with a clear strategy on how to win at the game Battleship. I’ve never played the game in my life, so I’m wondering why I’d be thinking about it in the first place, much less how I’m developing a strategy for it. However, I also woke up this morning with a splitting headache, a sore shoulder, an upset stomach, and an overall discontent with my alarm clock. Possibly all of these things are somehow related.

In completely unrelated news, I’m uncomfortable with how this whole AT& T vs. Verizon thing is playing out. I feel like I’m witnessing some horrible breakup where both parties are insistent on bashing the other to pieces. I’ve actually grown uncomfortable watching it and wonder if they secretly love each other, thus breeding the outward and open acrimony. They’d actually be a perfect couple. They’re both big on friends and family. When going to parties AT&T could always bring the Apps. And as for sex, they’d have no trouble finding the 3G-spot, although apparently it’s much easier to find on Verizon.

In even further unrelated news, I no longer find the old school Rudolph TV Christmas program to be worthwhile. In fact, I find it creepy. I can’t imagine any child would want to sit and watch that after what they are exposed to on daily basis. I know as parents we try and hold on to traditions and pass them down to our kids, but do we really want horrible graphics to be our legacy? And the same goes with Charlie Brown’s Christmas. With newspapers going away, kids 15 years from now aren’t even going to know who Charlie Brown is.

And finally, in even more unrelated news, I’m wondering when we got the point where speaking in acronyms became more of a sign of intelligence than using large words. It used to be the larger and more impressive the word the more people would look at you in amazement and wonder how you got so smart. There was, and probably still is, a word of the day calendar to increase your vocabulary in order to continually impress your friends and co-workers. Now it seems people want to show their intelligence by shortening everything and I fear this practice will only expand with the text messaging generation entering the workforce. I can just see a meeting that starts out, “OMG, the KPI needs some TLC ASAP or else the BOM’s will be DOA.” I think I’ll invent an acronym of the day calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment